February 2015 - Digital Group - Audio-Visuals

Meeting Notes March 2009 to 2018.
spb

February 2015 - Digital Group - Audio-Visuals

Post by spb » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:27 pm

This month the beginners tutorial was on the subject of the Photoshop Elements Toolbox. Notes for this topic and the seven others are on the Digital Group page of the main APS website. Together, they cover all of the key skills needed to edit and present images.

AUDIO VISUAL SOFTWARE

I talked in more detail about Audio-Visual (AV) software and illustrated it with some shows that I have put together in the last couple of years.

Most image-orientated software can produce simple slideshows but software to produce sophisticated audio-visual shows is harder to find. I would strongly recommend Proshow Gold (£45). The interface is relatively straightforward (for simple shows at any rate) and yet it can produce quite elaborate results if required. There are hundreds of optional pre-canned styles and transitions (fades, wipes, page turns etc). Whilst some of these are rather kitsch they can generate impressive shows with a few clicks via an optional automated Wizard feature.

Having developed, tested and saved the project, final show output can be generated in many different formats from small files for mobile phones and websites to HD quality for TVs, projectors and computer screens. One great feature is that the images, video and sound files are held at their original quality and only downsized as necessary for each output. In addition, the component files of a finished project can be collected and moved, in bulk, when necessary. A further feature enables the creation of top-level menus for multiple shows on a DVD, for example.

Proshow Gold would be sufficient for most people but Proshow Producer (£163) adds extra control if you find yourself being limited in some areas eg control over transparency or the ability to apply multiple changes or effects whilst a single image is on screen. Producer employs keyframes and masks which are very powerful but do take longer to master. A loyalty scheme offers escalating discounts on upgrades from Gold to Producer initially, and after 12 or 24 months. Free trials of Photodex software is available from their website.

Although both programs can perform image adjustments, Photoshop skills will be useful to enable more creative results. Similarly, a degree of audio editing is possible but I would recommend Audacity (£ free) for more powerful recording and editing of audio material; music, sound effects, commentary etc. Using this software I have, for example, been able to shorten or lengthen music tracks to suit the visuals by removing or repeating musical phrases or choruses whilst maintaining the beat.

If you do get the AV bug it can be all-consuming and the ability to mix visual and aural material can produce very powerful experiences that can be addictive. I love the serendipitous moments that can arise when images and audio magically combine to produce a sum that is greater than the parts.

History shows that most of our members manage to avoid the addiction to AV software so I won't go into any further details. However anyone who wants help with the technology is always welcome to get in touch. I will also be pleased to share hints and tips that I have discovered the hard way over the years.

Cheers, Steve